To promote business growth and employment, including helping Southwark residents into 5,000 jobs and 2,500 apprenticeships. Work with the Cabinet Member for Social Regeneration, Great Estates and New Council Homes to ensure that Southwark’s employers and job-seekers get a good deal out of development. To work with local employers to improve working standards, pay and conditions.
Working with the Cabinet Member for Children, Schools and Adult Care, lead the council’s work helping young people prepare for work, paid internships and the employment education and training guarantee. The Cabinet Member will lead the council’s drive to increase access to English, maths and digital skills training and supporting people to progress into better quality jobs.
The Cabinet Member will oversee improvements to our town centres with cabinet members across cabinet. Working with the Cabinet Members for Social Regeneration, Great Estates and New Council Homes; Environment, Transport and the Climate Emergency; Finance, Performance and Brexit; and Growth, Development and Planning, the Cabinet member will develop a town centres’ plan which develops a new vision for town centres, making sure they are all vibrant places great to do business, work, socialise and live.
The cabinet member will have particular responsibility for:
· economic development and employment
· employment and enterprise support
· Innovation fund
· 18 year old employment, education and training guarantee
· promoting fair pay and the London Living Wage
· good work standard
· closing the gender pay gap
· business engagement
· Southwark Business Forum
· business improvement districts
· better business space
· supporting businesses to engage with schools and colleges
· affordable workspace
· adult learning, post-18 further and higher education and training
· Southwark Scholars
· paid internships
· digital strategy and infrastructure
· improving broadband access across the borough
· the council’s relationship with Jobcentre Plus.