To ensure sound business planning and financial probity within the council, including the medium term resource strategy and all financial management of the general fund, the housing revenue account, the capital programme and the management of capital receipts. To keep council tax low by delivering value for money across all our high quality services.
The portfolio holder will be responsible for oversight of the development and implementation of the council’s budget and be responsible for performance management across the council. To lead the integration of the council’s budget and Fairer Future Plan. enabling the council to deliver on the cabinet’s priorities and to cope with financial constraints, together with its partners.
To lead the council’s work on regulated services including improving the quality of private rented homes, licensing and trading standards. To develop opportunities for greater commercialisation of council services.
To lead the council’s response to Brexit, ensuring that the council is prepared and able to continue to deliver its fairer future programme after Brexit. To work with the Cabinet Member for Culture, Leisure, Equalities and Communities to support EU residents in Southwark with the effects of Brexit.
The cabinet member will have particular responsibility for:
· medium term resource strategy and all financial management of the general fund, the housing revenue account, the capital programme and the management of capital receipts
· capital investment in schools
· performance management across the council
· Integration of performance and budget planning
· council tax and business rate collection
· corporate procurement, corporate debt strategy, income management and audit & risk management and anti-fraud
· property and asset management strategy including acquisitions and disposal;
· the Fairer Future Plan, performance management
· no recourse to public funds
· older people and pensioner poverty
· affordable childcare loans
· commercialisation and traded services including bringing the repairs service in-house
· licensing and standards of private rented sector landlords
· Southwark Renters Union
· Southwark Gold Standard
· licensing policy
· environmental health
· trading standards
· regulated services
· preparing the council and community for Brexit
· council’s response to welfare reform.