To assume the statutory role of lead member for children’s services in accordance with the guidance produced by the Department for Education (DfE), including responsibility for children's social care and early years, the inclusion agenda, and work to implement the children and young people's plan. The portfolio holder will hold political accountability and exercise leadership over all areas included in DfE guidance. They will work closely with the cabinet member for public health, parks and leisure (with regard to children’s health, play and teenage pregnancy) and with the cabinet member for communities and safety(with regard to children’s safety and youth offending).
The cabinet member will have particular responsibility for:
· 18 year old employment, education and training guarantee with the cabinet member for business, employment and culture;
· youth offending;
· universal services for people aged 0-19;
· early intervention;
· child protection and specialist services for most vulnerable children, young people and their families;
· raising the quality of children’s services;
· school place provision and admissions;
· expanding affordable childcare and nurseries;
· free healthy school meals and free fruit in schools;
· raising school standards and attainment;
· the youth fund;
· capital investment in schools;
· safeguarding children;
· corporate parenting including fostering and adoption;
· Southwark Scholars;
· further education (16-18).
The cabinet member will work with the deputy cabinet member for young people and careers.