Council assembly to agree the council tax base for 2019-20.
(See pages 175-186 of the agenda)
At this juncture the clerk explained that the Local Authorities (Standing Orders) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2014, which had come into force on 25 February 2014, required a recorded vote on key budget decisions by local authorities. The regulations required a recorded vote on decisions only. Therefore in accordance with council assembly procedure rule 1.16(4) (a roll call recorded vote), the bell was rung at the beginning and end of one minute, after which the doors to the room were closed.
The substantive motion was put to the vote, and the votes having been recorded, the Mayor declared the result as follows:
In favour of the substantive motion (62):
Councillors Evelyn Akoto, Humaira Ali, Jasmine Ali, Anood Al-Samerai, Peter Babudu, Maggie Browning, Jack Buck, Radha Burgess, Victor Chamberlain, Sunil Chopra, James Coldwell, Stephanie Cryan, Helen Dennis, Dora Dixon-Fyle, Nick Dolezal, Karl Eastham, Gavin Edwards, Paul Fleming, Tom Flynn, Renata Hamvas, Barrie Hargrove, Jon Hartley, William Houngbo, Sirajul Islam, Peter John, Nick Johnson, Eleanor Kerslake, Sarah King, Sunny Lambe, Lorraine Lauder, Maria Linforth-Hall, Richard Leeming, Richard Livingstone, Rebecca Lury, Alice Macdonald, Eliza Mann, James McAsh, Hamish McCallum, Darren Merrill, Vicky Mills, Adele Morris, Graham Neale, Margy Newens, David Noakes, Damian O'Brien, Jason Ochere, Victoria Olisa, Leo Pollak, Sandra Rhule, Catherine Rose, Jane Salmon, Martin Seaton, Andy Simmons, Johnson Situ, Michael Situ, Charlie Smith, Cleo Soanes, Leanne Werner, Dan Whitehead, Kath Whittam, Kieron Williams and Ian Wingfield.
Councillor Bill Williams
The Mayor declared that the substantive motion was carried.
1. That the 2019-20 Southwark element of the council tax for band D properties in Southwark, including an increase of 2.99% be set at £1,066.27.
2. That the formal resolution for Southwark council taxes in 2019-20 (shown in Appendix A of the report) be approved.
3. That no discount be applied to properties in the former parish of St Mary Newington for 2019-20.
4. That no discount be applied to properties in the former parish of St Saviour’s for 2019-20.
5. That council assembly notes the Greater London Authority (GLA) proposal to set a precept level of £320.51 at Band D, which the GLA considered on 25 February 2019.
6. That the existing local war disability and war widow/ers’ schemes for housing benefit be continued in 2019-20.
Note: As contained within the programme motion, Appendix A to the report be amended as below:
3 a) to read "£988,781,353" instead of "£988,521,353"
3 b) to read "-£878,249,672" instead of "-£877,989,672".