Appendix 1 of this report was circulated at the meeting and an officer presented all the key issues arising.
1. That the brief updates on the ‘We Will’ statements in the sufficiency strategy in the updating report and the development of a sufficiency dashboard addressing some of the ‘We Will’ statements (the draft Sufficiency dashboard, Appendix 1 of the report) to monitor progress be noted.
2. The following issues /comments were made:
· The importance of ensuring that the infrastructure is in place and that queries were answered quickly from potential foster carers
· Initiatives in place to recognise foster carers highlighted including an annual ball, attendance at the Mayors ball, tickets for pantomimes (donated by local groups/businesses) and a wellbeing day. Officers confirmed the intention to open up some of these events by inviting members of the committee to celebrate foster carers
· Discussed how to challenge some of the myths that prevail as barriers to people being interested in adoption and efforts to address
· Assurance sought that no barriers to staying put (including financial) and young people being supported. Confirmed that links are maintained with relevant organisations including the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP).