To consider recommendations relating to the policy and resources strategy 2019-20.
The report had not been circulated five clear days in advance of the meeting. The chair agreed to accept the report as urgent as cabinet were required to prepare a budget proposal for submission to council assembly. This was the last cabinet meeting before council assembly on 27 February 2019. The council were required to set a lawful budget by 11 March 2019.
Councillor Bill Williams, chair of the overview and scrutiny committee attended the meeting to present the committee’s recommendations.
1. That the recommendations considered at cabinet on 22 January 2019 be noted, and that it be noted that this report has been amended accordingly.
2. That it be noted that the 22 January 2019 report was considered by overview and scrutiny committee on 28 January 2019, and that the response to the recommendations arising be agreed (paragraphs 102 – 104 of the report).
3. That it be noted that the final local government finance settlement published on 29 January 2019 was unchanged from the provisional settlement published in December (paragraph 24 of the report).
4. That the additional grant of £0.105m in 2018-19 and 2019-20 to support preparations for Brexit (paragraph 28 of the report) be noted.
5. That it be noted that this report presents the final balanced general fund budget proposals for 2019-20 including:
· Efficiencies and improved use of resources savings of £13.905m (Appendix C of the report)
· Income generation proposals of £4.810m (Appendix D of the report)
· Savings impacting on services of £0.900m (Appendix E of the report)
· Commitments and growth of £16.206m (Appendix F of the report)
· Pay Award and contractual inflation of £8.450m; and
· Debt financing costs of £3.809m.
6. That this balanced one-year 2019-20 budget be submitted to council assembly for approval.
7. That the fees and charges as set out in Appendix G of the report (paragraphs 92 – 94 of the report) be agreed.
8. That it be noted that in the summer 2019 cabinet will receive a refreshed outlook of the financial position and specifically an update on local government financing in 2020-21 and beyond.
NOTE: In accordance with overview and scrutiny procedure rule 16.2 (a) (budget and policy framework) decisions 1-6 are not subject to call-in.