Change of use from paper recycling centre (sui generis) to Use Class B2 (general industrial) purposes.
The committee heard an officer’s introduction to the report and members asked questions of the officer.
Thereafter at 7.35pm, it was moved, seconded and resolved that the public be excluded from the meeting on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in category 5 of paragraph 10.4 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules of the Southwark Constitution.
The meeting was reopened to the public at 7.50pm.
The applicant’s agents made representations to the committee and answered members’ questions.
Members heard representations from spokepersons for supporters of the application and asked questions.
Ward councillor Richard Livingstone made representations to the committee in support of the application.
A motion to grant the application was moved, seconded, put to the vote and was declared to be lost.
A motion to defer the application was moved, seconded, put to the vote and was declared to be carried.
That the planning committee decided that in the case of application number 10-AP-1611, the application be deferred to enable officers provide members with the following additional information in a report:
· A detailed history of the site including previous use of the site and any record of enforcement issues.
· The letter to the environmental agency licensing department surrendering the licence for the site in April 2009.
· An assessment of the suitability of this site for waste management (i.e. the lack of a valid waste management licence)
· How and when the site came to be safeguarded as a waste management site under policy 3.8 of the Southwark Plan.
· The impact of a lack of a Waste Management DPD on the manner determination of this application
· An explanation of the interrelationship with the Mayor of London and an explanation of the referral process where the council decides to depart from Southwark Plan policy 3.8.
· To make clear why the council’s is unable to meet its waste apportionment target through the Old Kent Road waste recycling centre alone and the need to safeguard other sites in compliance to a London wide policy.
The meeting was adjourned for 5 minutesat 8.20pm to give members a short break and was reconvened at 8.25pm.