14 Review of the Council's Approach to Community Engagement
To adopt the approach to community engagement that sets out the vision and principles previously agreed by cabinet on 30 April 2019 and to agree that the new approach will inform the way in which the council works with residents throughout the borough on any matters which involve engagement and consultation.
1. The approach to community engagement that sets out the vision and principles that were agreed at the cabinet meeting 30 April 2019 and describes how we will deliver these (attached as appendix 1 of the report) be adopted.
2. The new approach which will inform the way in which the council works with residents throughout the borough on any matters which involve engagement and consultation be agreed.
3. The following objectives for community engagement be agreed:
a. Create and nurture relationships with people and community organisations and build better connectivity between the council, and voluntary and community organisations and people in Southwark and each other
b. Understand people’s experiences of services they use and the neighbourhoods they live in, work in, run a business in, visit and move through and better employ this local intelligence and local expertise to improve people’s wellbeing, the quality of our places and the quality of our services
c. Enable good governance and fair and informed decision making, through building confident, skilled, active and influential communities and a culture of getting involved.
4. A report be brought back to cabinet next year to ensure we adhere to these principles.
5. That ways of embedding this in the council’s decision-making process to measure these equalities and the sign-off process for them be developed.