Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Update on community space provision
Decisions of the Cabinet
1. That a management body for the community space comprising council, developer and community membership be established.
2. That a £50,000 grant p.a. towards funding the community space management for an initial three-year period be agreed and to then be reviewed.
3. That officers be instructed to recruit the community membership through an open selection process.
4. That officers be instructed to work with the management body to develop the principles set out in the report into an appropriate constitution prior to receiving council funding.
5. That the management body once constituted selects an operator for the community space based on the principles in the report and is responsible for managing and monitoring the agreement with the operator.
6. That it be noted that the community arts and culture provision within the Walworth Town Hall and new Southwark Heritage centre and Walworth Library combine to deliver 1,248m2 of publically accessible space which exceeds the pre-fire figure of 660m2 (these figures are based on current available information). This equates to an 89% increase of publically accessible space.
Decision of the Leader of the Council
7. That authority be delegated to the cabinet member for growth development and planning, in consultation with the relevant chief officer, to make any final decision necessary in relation to the establishment of the management board, in terms of its format and composition.
Report author: Kevin Fenton
Publication date: 17/06/2020
Date of decision: 16/06/2020
Decided at meeting: 16/06/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 25/06/2020