Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
(see pages 42 - 55 of the main agenda)
Amendment G was put to the vote and declared Carried.
The recommendations were put to the vote and declared Carried.
1. That council assembly considered the results of the public and statutory consultation conducted on the possible implementation of a late night levy (LNL) within the borough and agreed the following:
a. that council assembly approved a late night levy across the whole borough
b. the commencement date should be 1 September 2019
c. the levy shall apply from 00:01 to 06:00 hours
d. Net monies raised by the levy after the payment of administration shall be used as follows:
· to pay for the full costs of the police night time economy team
· to pay for the council resources within the night time economy team
· surplus to be decided by a board made up of representatives for the council, police, licensed trade and residents.
e. A 30% reduction to the levy is given to premises licence holders in relation to on-trade premises that are in receipt of Small Business Rate Relief (as specified in Part III of the Local Government Finance Act 1988) and have a rateable value of £12,000 or less.
f. Exemptions to the levy are to be applied to the following categories:
i. a hotel or guest house, lodging house or hostel at which the supply of alcohol between midnight and 6am on any day may only be made to a person:
1) who is staying at the premises, and
2) for consumption on the premises;
ii. a theatre at which the supply of alcohol between midnight and 6am on any day may only be made to a person for consumption on the premises who is:
1) a ticket holder in relation to a relevant production at the premises,
2) concerned in the performance, organisation or management of the relevant production, or
3) invited to the premises as a guest to attend an event to which the public do not have access;
iii. a cinema at which the supply of alcohol between midnight and 6am on any day may only be made to a person for consumption on the premises who is:
1) a ticket holder in relation to the exhibition of a film at the premises, or
2) invited to the premises as a guest to attend an event to which the public do not have access;
iv. a club which is registered as a community amateur sports club by virtue of section 658 of the Corporation Tax Act 2010(2); and
v. a licensed premises which is authorised to be used to supply alcohol for consumption on the premises between midnight and 6am on 1st January in every year (but are not so authorised at those times on any other day in any year).
g. After 12 months from the commencement date of the Late Night Levy, the licencing committee will undertake a review of the levy, to include the possible introduction of a further reduction category for a best practice scheme.
2. A full list of reduction and exemption categories are listed in Appendix A of the report.
Publication date: 20/08/2019
Date of decision: 17/07/2019
Decided at meeting: 17/07/2019 - Council Assembly