Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To agree the proposals for the new resident involvement framework following consultation
An amendment to the recommendations set out in the report, to add Resolutions 10 and 11 below, was moved by Councillor Vicky Mills, seconded by Councillor Stephanie Cryan, and agreed.
1. That the feedback from the resident involvement review consultation which ran between July to October 2019 and had over 1,120 responses and can be found in Appendix 1 of the report be noted.
2. That the actions to reaffirm and further strengthen the council’s support for tenants and residents associations (TRAs), including to work with TRAs to agree a joint plan to update and enhance the support available to them, as set out in paragraph 40 of the report be agreed.
3. That a new residents participation fund (RPF) with an annual budget of £900,000 be established that directs more resources to grassroots resident involvement activities that benefit people living in council homes, as set out in paragraph 87, 88 and 89 of the report.
4. That the updated resident participation framework, including local housing forums, a new digital residents panel, Southwark wide tenants and homeowners forums, and a programme of resident working groups to look in depth at issues of most interest to residents, as set out in paragraphs 50 and 58 of the report be agreed.
5. The actions to give council tenants and homeowners a central role on the council’s housing scrutiny commission as a further way to hold the council’s housing services to account, as set out in paragraphs 64 and 65 of the report be agreed
6. The actions to reaffirm and further strengthen the council’s support for tenant management, as set out in paragraph 76.
7. To extend the existing grants for independent tenant and homeowner support and advice services provided by Southwark Group of Tenants Organisations and the Citizens Advice Bureau for a further six months to the 31 September 2020 to allow time for the procurement of contracts for these services.
8. The implementation timeline for the above changes, as set out in Appendix 2 of the report.
9. That a review of the new resident participation framework be undertaken after the first year in order to assess its effectiveness and whether any adjustments are needed, whether it meets the requirement to strengthen the tenants and residents’ voice, and whether it is adequately supported by resources and staff, with a report back to cabinet by September 2021.
10. That Southwark Group of Tenants’ Organisations will be involved in the review.
11. That resident scrutiny is a core function of the Tenants’ Forum, Home Owners’ Forum and joint tenants and homeowners’ forum, and therefore the Housing scrutiny commission will have nominated places for tenants council, home owner council, and TMO representatives, who will be able to nominate an item on the agenda.
Report author: Michael Scorer
Publication date: 05/02/2020
Date of decision: 04/02/2020
Decided at meeting: 04/02/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 13/02/2020