Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Review of housing investment priorities and resident consultation arrangements on the strategy to meet decent homes
Decisions of the Cabinet
1. That the commitment to making every home warm, dry and safe be confirmed.
2. That the findings of the housing stock condition survey and the significant investment needs identified be noted.
3. That the different standards that could be applied to achieving decent homes and the financial implications of the different standards; in particular the high cost of delivering the current borough standard be noted.
4. That those commitments already made to residents in the two year programme be continued and officers review the specification for work packages where contracts have yet to be committed.
5. That further reports are brought back to cabinet by February/March 2011 on a review of the voids disposal strategy, a review of the use of planning powers to generate funds to support decent homes work, and a review of options for estates with high costs and potential approaches.
6. That officers to consider all those options to increase the funding available to the council, set out in paragraphs 62 to 74 of the report, and report back to cabinet with a view to agreeing a new approach which will achieve warm, dry and safe homes.
7. That the consultation arrangements as set out in paragraphs 82 to 84 of the report be agreed and officers begin the process of engaging with residents on the strategy for housing investment in the borough over the next five years, to deliver more benefit to residents overall for the resources available.
8. That it be agreed that for homeowners, administration charges are levied in accordance with the terms of the lease to recover costs from homeowners but capped at 10% and subject to 9 below.
Decision of the Leader of the Council
9. That further to 8 above, authority be delegated to the cabinet member for housing management to periodically review the costs and recharge rate.
Report author: Richard Rawes
Publication date: 15/12/2010
Date of decision: 14/12/2010
Decided at meeting: 14/12/2010 - Cabinet
Effective from: 24/12/2010